Thursday, July 06, 2006

HIGH FLIGHT







Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence; hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, Up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

- By Jon Gillespie Magee Jr., Pilot Officer, RCAF - 1941

~In December 1941, Pilot Officer John G. Magee, a nineteen year old American serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force in England, was killed when his Spitfire collided with another airplane inside a cloud. Several months before his death, he composed his immortal sonnet "High Flight," a copy of which he mailed to his mother in the United States.~

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

I knew that story - had read it a long time ago! The fact that I still remember it does attest to the intensity it touched me with! For a 19 year old to write that, sensing his days to be counted, is more than remarkable ... just thinking of that gives me the goose-bumps!
May GOD bless his soul!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Anshuman said...

good one ... sometimes i feel i wont ever get to read such stuff, unless I keep hitting other blogs - thanks !

finally ... i have http://.anshuman.info up and running :)

6:07 AM  
Blogger Gotta Be Max said...

Touchin...sans doute

10:50 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Brave man ....
remarkable to maintain composure , knowing the odds are so against you, all this at such a young age...

such an 'unavoidable' waste isn't it.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

Extremely touching!
:)
Nice Post.

5:06 AM  
Blogger ani said...

goosebumps indeed!!!!

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home