Monday, April 03, 2006

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings...

A free bird leaps on the back of the wind
and floats downstream till the current ends
and dips his wing in the orange suns rays
and dares to claim the sky.

But a bird that stalks down his narrow cage
can seldom see through his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.

The free bird thinks of another breeze
and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn
and he names the sky his own.

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied
so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.

- Maya Angelou

[One of my favourite poems...]

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Ships said...

Reminds me of lines from William Blake's poem..
" A Robin Redbreast in a cage,
Puts all Heaven in a rage. "

10:28 AM  
Blogger Chetan Bhadricha said...

hey rose .... reminds me of one of the leprosy patients Whi cud not walk ... was caged in an open world by nature ... i m writing my next post on my visit to these ppl in a couple of days ..... well i dont remember the source but it reminds me of a few lines i read somewhere .....

"Ek ghadi ki parvashta koti narak ke saam hai ... pal bhar ki bhi svatantrata sau swargoon se uttam hai"
( Even a moment in a tied environment is like bearing crores of hells together .... but even an instant of true independence gives you the happiness of a hundred heaven )

10:06 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

@Ships... I luv that poem as well... :)))) esp the first few lines...
" To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour"

@Chetan... Dude... u said it all...

...Me

11:57 PM  
Blogger starry said...

I am a fan of Maya Angelou also. beautiful poem.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I think this one will interest you too...
THE TAME BIRD WAS IN A CAGE
by: Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)

The tame bird was in a cage, the free bird was in the forest.
They met when the time came, it was a decree of fate.
The free bird cries, "O my love, let us fly to the wood."
The cage bird whispers, "Come hither, let us both live in the cage."
Says the free bird, "Among bars, where is there room to spread one's wings?"
"Alas," cries the caged bird, "I should not know where to sit perched in the sky."

The free bird cries, "My darling, sing the songs of the woodlands."
The cage bird sings, "Sit by my side, I'll teach you the speech of the learned."
The forest bird cries, "No, ah no! songs can never be taught."
The cage bird says, "Alas for me, I know not the songs of the woodlands."

There love is intense with longing, but they never can fly wing to wing.
Through the bars of the cage they look, and vain is their wish to know each other.
They flutter their wings in yearning, and sing, "Come closer, my love!"
The free bird cries, "It cannot be, I fear the closed doors of the cage."
The cage bird whispers, "Alas, my wings are powerless and dead."

10:45 AM  
Blogger Saumya said...

wht a beautiful poem!!!cant say more cos words arent enuf to appreciate the brilliance of this poem!

2:22 AM  
Blogger starry said...

Lovemarks : what a beautiful poem.

5:19 PM  
Blogger jac said...

A caged bird can be female too! I wonder why maya used 'he'

'She' is more apt, don't you think so ?

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home